There are a few philosophies, old and new, that focus on respecting your fellow man and woman. From the biblical “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” to the “live laugh love” mantra that appears on countless Twitter bios, there’s no shortage of people that embrace the concept of making this world a better place for everyone.
But when was the last time they carried out a random act of kindness? A selfless deed, be it for someone they know or a complete stranger. More to the point, when was the last time you did?
Monday 17th February is Random Acts of Kindness Day, encouraging each of us to perform a small, unexpected action to improve someone’s day. This could be as simple as holding the lift for a workmate or leaving a tip in a coffee shop, or as elaborate as doing your friend’s shopping for them or buying cakes for the office. It really is up to you what you do; the important part is that it’s genuine, not just for show. On top of that, do it on Monday but don’t stop there!
Here are some ideas if you’re drawing a blank:
- Is it bin/garbage day? Has your neighbour forgotten to bring theirs out? Do them a favour.
- Do you have a skill or hobby? Use it to make someone smile, from writing them a poem to knitting them a hat.
- You’re walking past someone whose car has broken down. Can you help?
- Have a quick chat with the postman (it could make his morning).
- Buy a bunch of secondhand books and donate them to a hospital.
- Email your clients to let them know about this occasion, and thank them for their custom over the months/years.
- Clean out your wardrobes and take unwanted clothing to a charity shop.
- See some rubbish on the ground? Pick it up and pop it in the bin.
- Been for a pint with mates? Take your empty glasses back to the bar.
- Write a nice message or joke on a sticky note and leave it on the bus.
- Go to a sweet shop and pay for a few bags of goodies, asking the shop assistant to give them out to people for free.
- Pat someone on the back and tell them they did a good job. You never know, it could be exactly what they need.
The above are just examples off the top of my head; part of the fun of this occasion is thinking up creative acts of your own. So spread the word and get as many people doing it as you can, and in no time at all you’ll have created a Mexican wave of kindness.