There’s something about the taste of rich dark chocolate blended with refreshing peppermint that just can’t be beat. In fact, the entire holiday of National Peppermint Patty Day was centered around this delicious blend, and the company that brought it into existence. If you’re a fellow Peppermint Patty lover, then this holiday will be your favorite time of year, and each year will be a new opportunity to show how much you love this delicious treat.
History of National Peppermint Patty Day
The York Peppermint Pattie was created in York, Pennsylvania by Henry Kessler in 1920, and marketed by his York Cone Company throughout the Northeast United States. So successful was the York Peppermint Patty that the York Cone company stopped producing the cones for which it was named, and focused its entire effort on making the new candy sensation its creators had unveiled. In 1972 the York Cone Company was sold to Peter Paul, who made sure that the rest of the nation was able to enjoy its dark chocolatey, pepperminty deliciousness.
The best thing about the York Peppermint Patty is that you just can’t eat too many, who could get tired of that special blend of flavors? You don’t even need to worry about getting a tummy ache, after all the best thing to eat when you’ve got an upset stomach is peppermint, everyone knows that!
How to celebrate National Peppermint Patty Day
The best way to celebrate National Peppermint Patty Day is by eating this delicious candy! But we can do ever so much better than that, as one of the less well-known uses for Peppermint Patties is their inclusion in other culinary treats! Our personal favorite? Peppermint Patty Brownies, and because we love you so much, we’re going to share the recipe for it with you.
Peppermint Patty Brownies recipe
- 1 ½c butter (never use margarine)
- 3 c sugar (we prefer Damari!)
- 1 t vanilla extract (not imitation!)
- 5 eggs (free range!)
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c unsweetened cocoa powder (free trade!)
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 24 York Peppermint Patties (Small)
Brownies are a delightfully simple thing to make:
- Start by blending together the butter, sugar, and vanilla, and then adding the eggs until it’s well mixed.
- Next, add flour, cocoa powder, and salt, and blend it up again.
- Take and set aside 2 cups of the batter, grease a 13x9x2 pan and pour the rest of the batter into it.
- Lay out the peppermint patties in a single layer.
- Pour the rest of the batter over the patties.
- Bake for 55 minutes at 350F!
We wonder what sensation you’ll get when you bite into them?