World Top Up Day
Being an expat can be tough, but supporting your family back home can be even tougher. It takes resilience, hard work, and love to bridge the distance and provide for those who matter most.
World Top Up Day has been designed to celebrate people who give top ups. This typically relates to the global expat community who will support their families back home. Without this event, these people aren’t recognized. A big segment of the expat community has celebrated World Top Up Day since it was first launched in 2015. On this day, a lot of expats will get together on the Internet, irrespective of their nationality or where they are based.
History Of World Top Up Day
This day was first launched by MobileRecharge, which is a top up service for expats. They launched this day so that the public could be aware of the constant generosity of expats when it comes to supporting their family and friends back home. They believed that the expat community did not receive any attention or thanks for their efforts, and so they decided to create a day to celebrate.
On this day, there are many different activities that take place. There are fun online contests amongst the expat community, as well as special deals and offers online that has been designed purely for expats. Plus, you will find a lot of social media posts and online articles that have been curated by the expat community.
Some Things That Only Expats Understand
Moving to another country can throw up a whole host of hurdles and experiences that you may never have thought about until it happens to you. So, let’s take a look at some of the things that we are sure all expats can relate to…
- The immigration process can be a nightmare! Depending on where you are going to and where you are coming from, the requirements can be extensive, confusing, and draining. It’s not always as easy as you would assume!
- Your diet changes. You are not going to be able to enjoy all of your favorite foods, but you will quickly make some new favorites that your friends back home won’t have even heard about.
- You will lose ties with some people, but your true friends will shine through. It is going to be impossible to keep in touch with everyone after all. Yet, you will notice that those true friendships never die, and when you do go back home, it feels like you have never left.
- You value things differently. One thing that is true about expat life is that you definitely value things differently and some of your priorities change. After all, you are essentially stepping into a different way of life. This is something you need to get used to and it forces you to see things from a different perspective. You definitely enrich your knowledge and it changes who you are as a person, usually for the better.
Interesting Expat Statistics
- Did you know that there are currently more than 50 million expats across the world?
- Of these expats, 8.4 million represent company transfers.
- Of the expats that are sent abroad by their companies, only one out of four are female. However, this number is slowly increasing.
- Of all expats, 69 percent are between the age of 30 and 50-years-old.
- Almost 70 percent of expats are either in a relationship or they are married.
Of course, there are some people who decide to move abroad but it does not end up working out for them. You should not underestimate how difficult it is to move to a brand new country. There are a number of different reasons for expat failure. However, most surveys do reveal that family-related issues tend to be the main reason. This is because moving abroad can place a massive strain on the family. This is especially the case when one person settles in easily and the other person cannot adjust. Expat families are going to undergo a lot of challenges and strains, especially in their first year, and so it is important to stick together and support one and other.
How to celebrate World Top Up Day
No matter whether you are an expat or not, there are a number of different ways that you can observe World Top Up Day. If you are an expat, this day represents a good opportunity for you to share your story. You can put together a blog post and/or messages on social media so that you can educate people about your journey.
It is also worth doing a little bit of digging online to see what’s going on for World Top Up Day. As mentioned, there are usually deals and offers for expats. Plus, you will be able to communicate with other expats via forums, and you can engage in online games as well. It is certainly a fun day, and it makes you feel proud to be part of the expat community.
If you are not an expat, this does not mean that you cannot observe World Top Up Day. there are a number of things that you can do on this day. One of the best ways to celebrate World Top Up Day is to take the time to read the posts that expats have published online. You will be able to read some incredible tales about different expat stories and it will certainly open your eyes to this community.
If you know of any expats in your area, why not use this day as an opportunity to spend some time with them? It is likely that they are going to be missing their loved ones, so doing something to make them feel special can make a massive difference. Of course, the activity you decide on will probably depend on how well you know them. If you do know them well, why not invite them to your home and cook a nice meal for them? If you don’t know each other, now is the perfect time to get to know one and other! You could bake some goods and take them to the person or you could ask them if they would like to grab a coffee.