Your strongest muscle & worst enemy is your mind. Train it well.Anonymous
Every day, humans have one particular “muscle” that can’t be taken away from them. It shapes everything they do and informs the details about how they experience the world around them.
In actuality, this isn’t really an actual muscle at all, but it is easily more powerful than even the strongest muscle in the body! The mind can make people sick, or make them well. It can drive them to see deception and paranoia in the actions of others, or simply allow them to perceive other humans just trying to get along in life.
National Train Your Brain Day recognizes the power of the mind, and how training it to be positive can change human lives as a whole.
History of National Train Your Brain Day
National Train Your Brain Day was created to bring attention to, and celebrate, the incredible power of the mind. Whether one chooses to look at the ‘power of the mind’ as being the ability to come up with creative new things, solve math equations, and design towering skyscrapers, or as the ability to change the way people feel and think about themselves and others, it’s undeniable that a mind is a powerful tool and weapon.
Every day people are actively training their minds, teaching them how to react to situations, telling them what they are capable of, and even deciding how to interpret the feelings and actions of others.
With its ability to have such a profound effect on their lives, people should certainly be taking the time to hone and sharpen their brains every day. Thoughts and patterns can become ingrained in the mind, so choosing what and how to think is of vital importance for those who want to have the best and most positively lived the life they can.
National Train Your Brain Day is a perfect reminder that how the brain feels, what it thinks, and how it reacts to the world are all choices that can be adjusted. This is the ideal day to try to train your brain to make the best out of it all!
How to Celebrate National Train Your Brain Day
Although this is a great day to find the motivation to get started, training your brain is something that needs to be done on a regular basis by creating new habits. Consider these ideas to implement for National Train Your Brain Day that will make improvements on your mind that can carry you far into a better future:
Work at Training Your Brain
Keeping the brain healthy can come through all sorts of different exercises. The most important thing is to keep the “muscle” of the mind agile with various activities. Try out these interesting ways to improve the way the mind works:
- Crossword Puzzles. Even just spending ten minutes on a word puzzle can help to boost memory and concentration, and even stave off the possibility of mental memory disorders or dementia. Fort those who aren’t big fans of the crossword variety, Sudoku puzzles and word searches have been known to offer a similar effect.
- Learn a Word a Day. Choose a calendar or just pick up the dictionary and try to learn a new word each day throughout the year. It will expand the language centers of the brain–and it will just make you seem smarter to friends and coworkers!
- Study a Foreign Language. Evidence has shown that learning a foreign language can help improve various thinking and memory centers as well as executive function, with the possibility of actually increasing the volume and density of the grey matter and white matter in the brain.
- Get to Bed Early. People often don’t realize that their brains will function better when they have enough sleep. Even just going to bed 15 minutes earlier than usual can have an extremely positive impact on the performance of the brain. So, turn off that tv, put the phone away, and Train Your Brain to get to sleep earlier for the positive effects it will have on life.
Learn Some Fun Facts About the Brain
When sharing the celebration of National Train Your Brain Day with friends, remember these tidbits of information to share. This will help them see the benefits of the day and give the brain the respect it so deserves:
- It is estimated that the average brain thinks between 60,000 and 80,000 thoughts every day.
- An adult human brain weighs only about 3 pounds.
- Approximately 75% of the brain is made up of water–so don’t forget to stay hydrated for National Train Your Brain Day (and all of the other days too!)
- The human brain is composed of approximately one hundred billion neurons.
Train Your Brain to Have a Great Day!
National Train Your Brain Day is best celebrated by starting the path to a brighter and healthier future, and it starts off by deciding what kind of day you’re going to have. When you wake up, decide how it will be best to face the day.
Don’t make the mistake of setting yourself up for failure, remembering that it isn’t beneficial to decide based on the actions of others or what life is going to bring to us that day. But it is certainly possible to choose how to react to it.
View situations that could be frustrating as opportunities that bring with them excitement to tackle. Finding that someone else is mean could instead be seen in the light of them having a bad day and choosing to feel bad for them without it affecting you personally.
The mind is capable of turning almost any limitation or situation into a positive, and it all starts with the choice to do so. So use this day to Train Your Brain to think positive!