May is National Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Month. Across the world, thousands of volunteers will come together to raise awareness about this devastating disease and tell our story of hope and progress.
You can join them. Take time this month to share your CF story and encourage people in your community to join the search for a cure.
Consider these facts:
- Approximately 30,000 children and adults in the United States have CF.
- More than 10 million Americans are symptomless carriers of the defective CF gene.
- CF used to be considered exclusively a childhood disease. Thanks to advancements in CF research and care, people with the disease are living into their 30s, 40s and beyond.
- The life expectancy for someone with CF has doubled in the last 30 years, but people still lose their lives to this devastating disease every day.
- The CF Foundation will not rest until we find a cure for all people with cystic fibrosis.
What you can do:
As someone who is interested in advocating on behalf of people with cystic fibrosis, you have a powerful voice. Here’s what you can do to help support the CF community.
- Check out the official “CF Awareness Toolkit” to get tips, tools, and language that you can use to help spread the word.
Learn more about:
- Participating in Great Strides;
- Becoming an advocate and contacting members of Congress on behalf of people with CF; and
- Talking about CF in your social networks, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Take some time this month to educate someone about CF or encourage people in your community to get involved. It only takes a few minutes to make a difference.