Vanilla is considered the most popular flavor of ice cream, but ever since the Italians froze hot chocolate in 1692, chocolate has been a close contender. The celebratory day itself was likely started by an ice cream manufacturer to encourage greater sales of the delightful dessert, but the question remains whether there was really any need to encourage people to eat more chocolate ice cream.
Chocolate ice cream is made by combining the cocoa powder with eggs, cream, vanilla, and sugar. The recipe is then frozen, and the more adventurous celebrant could consider making their own ice cream-based dessert in order to celebrate Chocolate Ice Cream Day, or simply open the freezer and grab any tub that is close to hand.
But what is it exactly about chocolate ice cream that we should be celebrating?
The US is the third-highest producer and consumer of the cold stuff in the world. Whilst the good old chocolate flavor may have been pipped to the post by vanilla, it is not any less worthy of being celebrated with its own day every year and is still in the top 5 rated ice cream flavors!
So, if you need a reason other than the fact that chocolate ice cream even exists, you have come to the right place! Well, if that is the case be prepared to eat your words or rather, ice cream! A firm favorite in America and of course, the rest of the world, ice cream is not just for those who are going through a breakup. But, whilst we are discussing this – has anyone actually seen a dumped party consume their body weight in ice cream whilst sobbing hysterically in front of a TV in real life? No? We did not think so but that does not negate the essential food item that is chocolate ice cream. Or even just ice cream.
- Ice Cream is a luxury – honest! Up until the late 1800s, ice cream was only for the rich and super-elite. This is due to the fact that they were the only ones who could afford to import it and then freeze it when it arrived. So next time you are looking for a more upmarket snack – look no further than the humble yet mighty tub of chocolate ice cream.
- Just like a bar of chocolate, chocolate ice cream is highly versatile – add it to desserts, milkshakes, top it with an assortment of sweet and savory foods, or even combine it with other chocolate foodstuffs to make a delectable dessert that is sure to induce a food coma.
- Ice Cream Sundaes. That is it. No elaboration needed. Did you know, Ice Cream Sundaes were actually made to be served on a Sunday? Ice cream was a popular addition to soda drinks in local soda shops. By law, on Sundays, this drink was not allowed to be sold. As a way around this, a popular ice cream parlor chose to serve the ice cream and syrup without the soda to get around laws about sugary treats on the Sabbath. So the story goes anyway. But either way, the treat is still a firm favorite all over the world.
How to celebrate Chocolate Ice Cream Day
As we mentioned earlier, the delicious chocolate ice cream is a versatile treat, and whilst it is perfectly tasty all on its own, it is safe to say some enhancements can actually increase the appeal of the brown colored frozen snack.
Chocolate ice cream is also a staple ingredient in many other flavors of ice cream including;
- Rocky Road
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter
Alternatively, or even alongside if you wish, you can make some lip-smacking desserts with chocolate ice cream that will make you want to skip right past starters and mains and just feast on dessert until your body is 99.99% ice cream and sugar!
Be warned: the following suggestions could cause brain freeze. Please enjoy ice cream responsibly. But if you can’t, the following advice is for those who need this:
Brain freeze can be combated by placing your tongue on the top of your mouth. This will help warm the temperature sensors in the roof of your mouth which are the cause of brain freeze. A drop in temperatures sends a signal to your brain letting it know of heat loss. This is why you get the sudden pain halfway through enjoying your favorite frozen treats!
The Best Time to Enjoy Chocolate Ice Cream
Whether you are celebrating, commiserating, catching up, or enjoying a film, there is no wrong time to indulge in a little bit of what you fancy. Especially if what you fancy is chocolate ice cream. Well, that is unless you are driving, or at work – your boss may not be best pleased!
Head to your local ice cream parlor for a treat for the kids, yourself, or even a catch up with pals.
Enjoy your chocolate ice cream on its own, in a cone, sandwiched in between wafers or in a classic ice cream glass or tall sundae glass.
A typical sundae glass is tall, wider a the top and tapers to the bottom, and features a flat disc base. Traditionally served with a thin long spoon so you can delve to the bottom to scrape out as much as possible, sundaes combine ice creams with many different toppings in a variety of flavors.
Ice cream bowls tend to be shorter and wider round bowls on a short stand with a flat base for stability. The exact shape can vary depending on location, size, and the type of serving you are ordering. But the dishware is irrelevant as everyone knows, it is what it holds that matters!
7 Totally Random Ice Cream Facts You Didn’t Know you Needed To Know.
- Romans used to send slaves up the mountains to collect snow and flavor it with fruits. Kinda makes you grateful all you need to do is go to the store, doesn’t it?
- Hawaii has an “ice cream bean” fruit that tastes like ice cream!
- The world record for eating ice cream was broken in 2017. Miki Sudo managed to get through 16.5 pints of ice cream in 6 minutes!
- In 2016, Americans ate 2.7 billion liters of ice cream.
- Do you know how many licks it takes to consume a cone of ice cream? Researchers discovered the magic number is 50 licks. Try it when you have your next cone, see if it is true.
- Chocolate is the most preferred ice cream topping. Chocolate sauce and chocolate ice cream. A match made in ice cream heaven!
- The most popular day to consume ice cream is Sunday!
Everything was chocolate ice cream and kisses and windFrancesca Lia Block