Fried Chicken, Pizza, Hot Dogs, Chips, Onion Rings, Hamburgers, oh my!
Fast Food is both boon and bane to the busy people of the world, and pretty much everyone has their favorite places and meals. Traditionally rich and greasy, fast food often tastes like pure bliss on the tongue, and can easily become addictive. (Or, in some cases, it doesn’t even taste that fabulous, but it’s quick, easy and convenient)
Whether people love rich cheese and bacon-covered potato wedges, or a quick and healthier chicken taco, National Fast Food Day is the perfect excuse to indulge in all of those fast and favorite treats.
History of National Fast Food Day
Thanks to the rising popularity of cars after World War I, fast food started finding a niche that it could fill for the road-bound traveler. Whether it was a quick trip into town for a rare treat, or a stop on a cross-country adventure, a fast, hot food choice was needed to fill the niche. White Castle first stepped onto the scene in 1921, when hamburgers were offered for .05 apiece, and by 1950 fast food had become an American Institution. From there the love of fast food started spreading throughout the world, and can now be found everywhere from downtown Tokyo, Japan to New Delhi, India.
While the “hamburger joint” was the first type of fast food, fast food restaurants can be found in just about every ethnic cuisine the world has to offer. From Mexican to Thai, from submarine sandwiches to chicken and waffles, there’s sure to be a restaurant to swing through to enjoy a mouthful of favorite flavors of rich, greasy goodness.
How to Celebrate National Fast Food Day
Getting on board with celebrating this day is pretty easy–and fast! Try out these ideas for taking advantage of everything National Fast Food Day has to offer:
Drop in for Some Fast Food
The start with you can celebrate National Fast Food Day by dedicating every meal to a different variety of fast food. Stop in a McDonald’s for a breakfast burrito, fried tater discs, and orange juice, and then stop in at Burger King for a Whopper with Onion Rings and a Strawberry Shake! Then, to round it all off, find the nearest KFC and make it perfect with a big ol’ bucket of fried chicken, because that’s how National Fast Food Day rolls!
Take Some Fast Food to Work
Celebrate with Coworkers by grabbing some fast food on the way to work and then sharing with the folks at the desks or cubicles nearby. Everyone deserves at least one french fry on this day! Or, grab the gang from work and head over to a local fast-food restaurant to enjoy a full lunch.
Visit the Most Popular Fast Food Restaurants
An icon of American dining, fast food joints have been growing in popularity all over the planet. These are the most famous and popular fast-food chains that can be found all throughout the world. It shouldn’t be hard to celebrate Fast Food day in one of these joints:
- McDonald’s. Those golden arches are one of the most recognizable logos ever. More than 39,000 locations dot every major city and many small towns on every continent except, of course, for Antarctica.
- KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken). Bringing Colonel Sanders’ secret recipe to the world, the headquarters of this worldwide company is still located in Kentucky, but they have 24,000+ locations in at least 150 countries.
- Subway. A slightly healthier version of fast food, Subway doesn’t have nearly as much grease involved in their menu! And they have even more locations than McDonald’s, at 41,000 and growing.
- Burger King. Almost as well known as KFC and McDonald’s, Burger King’s flame broiled Whopper is another American chain that can be found in more than 18,000 locations in over 100 countries.
Get Some National Fast Food Day Deals
In honor of fast food day, many restaurants offer special coupons and discount deals! Getting a discount on fast food isn’t difficult these days, often it just takes a little browse through a newspaper to find a coupon.
Although paper coupons are still a thing in some places, many fast food joints have an App that can be downloaded that offers daily or weekly discounts as well as allowing users to earn points toward even better discounts. Loyalty is well rewarded when it comes to fast food places! Some of the best fast food discount reward programs include:
- Jimmy John’s. This sub sandwich place has their Freaky Fast Rewards Program. They may even give a free 8-inch sandwich with the first order through the app.
- Culver’s. This Wisconsin based chain is known for their delicious Butter Burgers and ice-cream “custard”. Their app offers a Buy One Get One Free discount on value baskets.
- Wendy’s. Famous for their delightfully square beef burgers, this fast food joint often offers users of their app a free Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger,
Ask for the ‘Secret Menu’
To add a little bit of variety to the experience, ask about the ‘secret menu’ most Fast Food restaurants have. These aren’t really secret, so much as a list of discontinued items that are still able to be made with the ingredients from the normal menu. Jack in the Box, for instance, has a Bacon Bacon Cheeseburger made with Bacon Bits, Bacon Strips, Two Patties, and cheese that is just to die for (or from?).
Don’t let National Fast Food Day go by without drowning yourself in the indulgence that is the rich and delicious foods from your favorite take-out place!