When the cold winter winds are blowing and snow falls around your feet, nothing takes the chill away like a bowl of homemade soup! You may think that to make a pot of simmering heaven you would need to be highly skilled in the kitchen and have all day free. This couldn’t be farther from the truth! With some well used short cuts and easy, beginner-friendly recipes all over the internet, there is no reason why you can’t impress family and friends alike with a wonderful creation to celebrate Homemade Soup Day!
History of Homemade Soup Day
Soup has been warming the stomachs of the masses for nearly 9000 years! It’s about time there was a day devoted to it! Not just any soup mind you. Do not even think about opening a boring, bland can of soup on Homemade Soup Day. It’s all about the fresh, easy, homemade kind of soup! It’s a good thing that it falls in one of the coldest months of the year, near the end of winter (or so we hope the end is near!).
Meals and snacks can get a little boring and repetitive when there isn’t the abundance of fresh offerings. Taking some time to put together a pot of soup is a great way to break up the monotony. What are your favorite flavors? There are many easy recipes out there. Make some chicken soup, or tomato, or maybe something more adventurous? That is what today is all about. Experiment and try something new.
How to celebrate Homemade Soup Day
You would think that the how to celebrate part of this day would be simple – just pour a bowl and tuck on in, right? Well, that is part of it but not all of it. If you are new to creating culinary masterpieces you can use this day as a motivation to try something new. Already a kitchen wizard? Use today to gather up some friends and have a tasting of several different homemade soups. Or better yet have a cook off! Each friend shows up with their own homemade masterpiece and you and your friends have a lively night of fun to see whose soup is crowned the winner
Looking for some inspiration? Try this recipe on for size!
- 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 4 c water
- 3 cups bite-size chicken
- 2 t seasoning
- 1/2 of a 12 oz. bag egg-white noodles
- 2c frozen vegetables (corn, peas, etc)
- Salt and pepper
- In large stock pot, add broth, water, chicken, and seasonings. (Add more seasoning to taste, if desired.) Bring to a boil.
- Add egg noodles and continue boiling to cook noodles as directed on package. Soup is ready to serve when noodles are done. Season with salt and pepper to taste, or allow your guests to season their own.
- Set this on the table with a loaf of dark bread and you have a meal worthy of being part of the celebration for Homemade Soup Day!