National Logistics Day recognizing and appreciates the importance that the logistics sector plays. Logistics refers to the process of moving and coordinating resources from one location to another. There are many different parts of this, from packaging and shipping. There is also a wealth of equipment, inventory, materials, and people involved. National Logistics Day was created to celebrate all of this!
Whether or not you are a business owner, you will recognize that most businesses focus on designing and producing services and products that fit their customers’ needs. However, if these products do not reach the consumer base, the business is going to fail. This illustrates just how critical logistics is and why we celebrate it. Take a look around your home now. It would probably be empty if it were not for those working in the logistics industry.
When discussing logistics, you can generally separate this into five different elements. These are as follows…
- Materials handling, warehousing, and storage – Warehouse buildings are required in order to store stock until consumers need them. Specialist storage equipment, like material handling equipment, racks, and shelves, are required in order to move products around, as well as to load and unload items into delivery vehicles.
- Packaging and unitisation – Packaging is a key part of the care and condition of a product. Unitisation is also vital, as it aids transportation and storage. A cube is the easiest product for storage and handling. Because of this, unitisation and packaging will attempt to take all different shapes and sizes of a product and pack them as near as possible into a cuboid shape.
- Inventory – Inventory is a logistical element that is concerned with how much stock a company holds and where it is held.
- Transport – Of course, transport deals with getting products from one place to another. Goods would not be able to move along the supply chain without this. It involves all modes of transport, including air transport, cargo shipping, freight trains, and road vehicles.
- Information and control – This is needed across all elements, as it will determine how operational procedures are carried out. Information and control are needed to plan transport, for example, as well as picking and packaging in warehouses.
History Of National Logistics Day
The term ‘logistics’ was originally coined as a military term. It was used to describe how military personnel moved, stored, and obtained supplies and equipment. Today, though, the term is widely used in the business sector, especially by businesses operating in the manufacturing industry. It is used to reference how resources are moved and handled in the supply chain.
The logistics sector first started to gain momentum when Marco Polo traveled on the Silk Road to China, keeping a detailed written record, which paved the way for merchants and traders to use this road between China and Europe in the future. In 1896, the first semi-truck (horseless carriage) was created. This improved how items would be transported. In 1910, the first-ever air cargo flight happened between Columbus and Dayton. This increased the speed at which products could be delivered within the United States. The first container ship also occurred across America, sailing to Texas from the port of New Jersey in 1956. This changed how products would move globally forever. And, this is how logistics started. Since then, the industry has only gone from strength to strength!
Now you know about the history of logistics, but what about the day itself? This was founded in 2019 by Logistics Plus Inc with the aiming of celebrating the growing and important logistics sector. The company has been supporting the logistics industry since 1996. It is headquartered in the historic Erie, Pennsylvania train station. The building has almost 50 country flags flying on top of it, representing the nationality of one of its customers or employees. This gives a nod to just how global logistics is in the current day and age.
How To Celebrate National Logistics Day
There are a number of different things that you can do in order to observe National Logistics Day. One option is to simply spend some time learning about logistics. There are so many great resources on the web, including sites that are purely dedicated to logistics news. It is certainly worth allocating a bit of time from your day in order to enrich your knowledge about the industry.
Another activity that you can enjoy on logistics day is discovering the logistics behind one of your favorite products or services. This could be anything from your favorite make-up products to your sports jerseys. Why not do a little bit of research and delve into the details regarding how the product goes from being raw materials to arriving at your front door? The Internet is home to a wealth of information, and so you may be able to piece together all of the details so that you can understand the full journey that your most-loved products go on. You can also learn about the logistical effort that goes into some of the world’s most famous events, from moto events to award ceremonies. You will probably be surprised to learn about how great of a role logistic plays!
You could also find out whether there are any events going on in your local area. There are often logistics trade shows, conferences, and events that take place around the world. If you really want to get an understanding of this industry, going to one of these events is certainly recommended.
You could even play a logistics game! You can get online games based on everything nowadays! From building your own hotel empire to running a travel agency, there is nothing you can’t do. This includes building your own logistics empire. If this is something that you’re interested in, simply do a quick search online and you will see that you actually have a few different options to choose from. This is a fun way to get a better understanding and appreciation for the logistics sector.