In celebration of that wonderful little phrase, “It’s my way or the highway”, it’s time to get on board with My Way Day. Forget going with the crowd, jumping on the bandwagon or imitating someone else. It’s time to get serious about each individual being their own person and doing their own thing!
History of My Way Day
The history of My Way Day can be traced to the founders of the day, Thomas Roy and his wife, Ruth. These two are not only responsible for the Wellcat Herbs company, but they also have initiated the celebration of dozens of days, many of which are rather unique and often a little obscure. This particular day may have been inspired by key events in the world happening because someone had a bold idea and they weren’t afraid to go through with it!
On that note, the idea of My Way Day is simple – it is the day where each individual person is encouraged to do whatever they want, however they happen to want.
Do you fancy watching every Bond film in a row wearing a onesie and eating chocolate? Go ahead. How about being a bit more adventurous by beginning to write that novel you were always thinking about? Absolutely fine.
My Way Day is your day – just make sure that whatever you decide to do, it’s legal. And don’t expect friends to come along or join in, because they are likely out doing things their own way!
How to Celebrate My Way Day
Of course, the most important thing to do in celebration of My Way Day is to exercise individualism and creativity.
Be an Individual
One of the best things about My Way Day is that it encourages and gives permission for people to set themselves apart from the crowd. Whether it is by their physical appearance and the way that they dress or the way they choose to walk, talk, sing and dance. Whatever the activity, being a unique individual is one of the best reasons to “do it my way”, “express yourself” and show the world how special each person really is!
Get Inspired to Do it Your Own Way
Listening to, watching or reading other peoples stories of how they did things their own way can be an ideal way to celebrate My Way Day. Sometimes it helps to have the inspiration of a person who worked hard, overcame the odds, expressed themselves and did things their own way! Check out some of these stories that lend themselves to the important theme of the day, including self expression and going your own way:
- Forrest Gump (1994). Although he doesn’t necessarily have huge aspirations for his life, Forrest (played by Tom Hanks) is a genuine, lovable and authentic character who really does do things his own way.
- Joy (2015). In this biographical comedic drama, Jennifer Lawrence portrays a single mom who really needs a break into the business world, so she invents a new product and eventually becomes a self-made millionaire with a style all her own.
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013). In a rare expression of Ben Stiller’s more serious side, this film tells the story of the way Walter finally lives out the adventures that have been going on inside his head.
- Bridget Jones’ Diary (2001). Bridget Jones (played by Renée Zellweger) offers a delightful peek into the life of a decidedly average and “unsuccessful” British woman in her thirties. But her heart, soul and unique way of being herself make her one-of-a-kind.
Listen to a My Way Day Playlist
One super fun way to celebrate My Way Day might be to create a playlist that offers a number of different songs from a variety of eras and genres that can all come together around the theme of doing it my way. Of course, that particular phrase brings to mind Frank Sinatra’s “I Did It My Way” from 1969. Here are some other songs along that theme to get excited about:
- Get Up, Stand Up (1973) by Bob Marley
- It’s My Life (2000) by Bon Jovi
- Go Your Own Way (1977) by Fleetwood Mac
- What a Feeling (1983) by Irene Cara