It’s time to face the facts: tall people have a great many advantages in this world. But National Short Person Day is the time to enjoy and appreciate everything that has to do with those people who are a bit vertically challenged!
History of National Short Person Day
Whether a person is considered to be short or tall partially depends on where they come from. For instance, in some places, like the Netherlands, a man who is 5’10” might be considered short where the average is 6 feet tall. On the other hand, in places like Laos and Papua New Guinea, where the average male stands at 5’2”, a person who is 5’10” would be considered very tall! Really, it’s all relative.
In any case, people of less than average height, no matter where in the world they are from, can enjoy National Short Person Day. The day is celebrated annually toward the end of the year to remind people of a shorter stature that they are cared for, appreciated and can be proud of themselves no matter how tall they are!
How to Celebrate National Short Person Day
Enjoy all sorts of fun and celebration on National Short Person Day with some ideas like these:
Celebrate with a Short Person
Whether a person is short or tall, National Short Person Day might be the time to celebrate with a friend who is short. Let them know how much they are respected and thank them for their contribution to the world. If it’s a family member or a close friend, consider giving them a card or even taking them out to lunch to celebrate and show them that they are loved, no matter their height!
Consider the Advantages of Being a Short Person
National Short Person Day is the ideal time to think about the ways that being short is beneficial in life. Consider some of these reasons that it’s good to be short:
- Comfortable Airplane Travel. Short people are always much more comfortable on airplanes than their 6’4” counterparts who have to fold themselves into the seats.
- Protecting Your Head. Never have to worry about bumping that noggin on a particularly low beam or doorway.
- Always in the Front Row. In classroom and family photos, they’ll always put the short person in front!
Watch a Movie About Short People
Have fun celebrating everything to do with being short by settling in at home to watch a film about a short person. Get started on National Short Person Day with some of these cool film titles:
- Willow (1988). Directed by Ron Howard, it’s a fantasy film starring small people.
- The Terror of Tiny Town (1935). A classic Western starring little people.
- Gulliver’s Travels (2010). The remake of a classic film which is made after the classic Jonathan Swift novel.
- Tiptoes (2003). Starring Matthew McConaughey as a man who tries to hide the fact that the rest of his family is made up of small people.