Get those vitamins and other nutrients into that diet the easy way, with fresh squeezed juice! Enjoy a simple and basic glass of fresh squeezed orange juice, or go for a blend that is a bit more unique and exotic, such as passion fruit with avocado or clementine with ginger.
No matter which type is the favorite, National Fresh Squeezed Juice Day is the time to enjoy and appreciate all of the vegetable and fruit concoctions that can be squeezed into a tall glass!
History of National Fresh Squeezed Juice Day
It’s likely that people have been enjoying fresh squeezed juice in a rudimentary manner ever since humans have been eating fruit! Ripe citrus fruits, in particular, can easily be “juiced” by hand, simply by squishing and rolling around an orange or grapefruit in the hand until the internal parts break down and the inside is deliciously juicy. Then, the fresh squeezed juice can be extracted by cutting a hole in one end and pressing the juice out into a glass.
It wasn’t until 1930 or so, though, that the mechanical device known as a juicer was developed by an Italian-British businessman, Dr. Normal Walker. This development of this machine allowed juice to be extracted from many more fruits and vegetables in a much more efficient manner.
In the 1970s, the trend toward eating more raw fruits and vegetables started, predominantly in the western United States, particularly in California. As the health benefits of natural eating became more widespread, the fresh squeezed juice craze evolved and moved into the mainstream in the 1990s as juice bars began cropping up.
National Fresh Squeezed Juice Day takes place early in the year, acting as a motivator for forming new habits or living out those New Year’s resolutions. Celebrating the healthy lifestyle that can come from including more fruits and vegetables into the daily routine, this is the day to enjoy a giant glass of fresh squeezed juice!
How to Celebrate National Fresh Squeezed Juice Day
Take advantage of the many opportunities to get healthy and happy on National Fresh Squeezed Juice Day! Try out some of these ideas for celebrating and enjoying the day:
Go Out for Fresh Squeezed Juice
Juice bars and farmers’ markets are all the rage these days, so getting access to fresh squeezed juice is even easier. National Fresh Squeezed Juice Day is just the time to stop by a tasty juice bar. Many cities and towns have their own locally owned juice bars, and supporting these businesses is a great way to celebrate the day.
For those who are interested in finding one that is part of a chain of juice bars, consider stopping by one of these for a glass of fresh squeezed juice. They might even offer a discount in honor of this important day!
- Juice it Up! With more than 85 locations throughout the United States, this franchise chain has been making freshly squeezed juice since 1995, offering not only fresh squeezed juices but also smoothies and acai bowls.
- Nékter Juice Bar. Founded in California, this company makes its juice bars available within more than 150 restaurants throughout the US where it offers raw, fresh squeezed juices as well as other healthy drinks and snacks.
- Raw Jūce. This south Florida chain of raw juice bars has been around since 2013 and offers freshly squeezed juices that come from the brand’s own organic produce company, Fresh Harvest Organics, with farm-to-bottle standards.
- I Love Juice Bar. At least thirty expressions of this company’s juice bar locations can be found mostly throughout the southern United States, especially in Tennessee and Texas.
Consider Purchasing a Juicer
Those who really want to get motivated to get into the life of juicing may want to do some research and purchase a juicer for their home. Some of these juicers might be options for getting on a healthier track by drinking fresh squeezed juice at home each day:
- Nutribullet Slow Juicer. Easy to clean and with a quiet motor, this juicer is also super compact so it doesn’t take up a lot of counter space or other precious real estate in the kitchen!
- Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juicer. Offering a super affordable price, this juicer is easy to set up and has a wide mouth that can handle whole apples all at once.
- Omega Slow Juicer. Completely dishwasher safe so it’s super easy to clean, this super convenient piece of equipment is a bit on the pricey side but is versatile enough to also make nut butters, pasta, breadsticks and milks.
- Breville 3X Bluicer. A great combination of blender and juicer, this one is a perfect introduction to the world of juicing without having to make a huge commitment.
Enjoy Some Fresh Squeezed Juice at Home
Making blends of juices can be a fun and creative way to stay healthy and also add variety to what could be an otherwise boring day. For people who want to keep it simple, it can be as easy as rolling that grapefruit around on the counter and then sticking a straw in it to drink the yummy juice out!
People who already have a juicer might want to try out some of these super healthy and interesting combination recipes for fresh squeezed juice:
- Pineapple Celery Green Juice. Loaded with nutrients and filled with anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants, this combination takes only five minutes and can help with digestive problems too.
- Mango Spinach Fresh Squeezed Juice. Full of bright colors and flavors, the spinach offers a ton of nutrients and a yummy taste is added with fresh mint, freshly squeezed lime juice and freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Ginger Turmeric Lemonade. Using freshly squeezed lemons, this recipe brings health and flavor to the forefront with spices like black peppercorns, turmeric and ginger.
- Orange Carrot Ginger Fresh Squeezed Juice. Perfect for breakfast, this juice really packs a punch with antioxidants and vitamins, and the ginger helps the body to heal or fight off chronic illness and disease.
National Fresh Squeezed Juice Day FAQs
Are fresh squeezed juices good for you?
Fresh squeezed juices are high in vitamins and minerals, but may raise the blood sugar levels and do not have as much fiber as a piece of whole fruit.
How long is fresh squeezed lemon juice good for?
In drinks, lemon juice stays fresh for a few days but fresh squeezed lemon juice can be used for cooking for up to 14 days.
Can you freeze fresh squeezed orange juice?
Sure! Fresh squeezed orange juice can be frozen to preserve its life for up to 12-14 months.
How to make fresh squeezed orange juice?
The easiest way is to roll an orange around on the counter several times until it is soft, heat it briefly in the microwave, then cut into eight pieces to squeeze the juice out. 
Are fresh squeezed juices safe during pregnancy?
Fresh squeezed juices sold by the glass may not be pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria, making them particularly unsafe for pregnant women and children.