Remember those fun times at grandpa and grandma’s house when the whole family reunited and you spent countless hours playing with your cousins while the grownups discussed politics and mortgages? Many of us grew up around our cousins, spending summer and winter breaks with them and slowly walking into life together. Then came college and that amazing job opportunity out of state, and we gradually lost touch.
Because most of us found a best friend in our cousin at some point in our lives, Cousins Day was born. The origin of this unofficial holiday is unknown, but the reason for its existence is clear: it’s the time of the year to rekindle cousin affection and reestablish those beautiful and strong childhood bonds. Wherever you are on Cousins Day, take a minute or two to ring up or text your cousins near and far. They will surely be thinking of you then, too!
Learn about Cousins Day
“Cousins are people that are ready-made friends, you have laughs with them and remember good times from a young age, you have fights with them but you always know you love each other, they are a better thing than brothers and sisters and friends cause there all pieced together as one.”
Cousins Day has been created so that we take the day to recognize the lifelong relationships that we have with our cousins. Often, the first friendships that we make in our lives are with our cousins. We make these friendships as infants, and they last for a lifetime.
Whether or not you have grown up with your cousin or you only see him or her occasionally, you have shared memories through your aunts and uncles, as well as your grandparents. It is always nice to catch up with your cousins at family celebrations. They tend to become your childhood ally as well, especially when your siblings are getting on your nerves.
It is important that we celebrate relationships like this, as they are so important. Take Cousins Day as a great opportunity to let your cousins know how special they are to you and how much you appreciate them.
Reasons why growing up with your cousins is the best
- Cousins are loyal to one and other. You will have a friend for life.
- You can share cool hand-me-downs with your cousins.
- Sleepovers are way easier for cousins, and they are a lot of fun too!
- You are always going to be able to vent about your parents together when you have a cousin you can trust.
- Cousins love one and other unconditionally.
- You always have people to hang out with at family functions.
- Cousins protect one and other.
- Cousins are each other’s first best friends.
History of Cousins Day
Cousin is a term that typically refers to a first cousin, i.e. a relative whose closest ancestor in the family tree with you is a grandparent. However, a lot of families have second cousins, and third cousins, and they’re all considered close. In our opinion, the more cousins, the better, right?
Some fascinating facts about cousins
- Did you know that all European Jews are actually distant cousins? Thanks to a small pool of shared ancestors, it was revealed in 2014, that the worldwide population of Ashkenazi Jews are related. Ashkenazi Jews represent a Jewish community from Eastern and Central Europe, whose descendants make up the majority of American Jews.
- Did you know that it is possible for you to have a double cousin? If two sisters marry two brothers, then their children will be double first cousins!
- Did you know that Mellisa McCarthy and Jenny McCarthy are cousins? They’re one of many famous cousin pairs. Nicolas Cage, Jason Schwartzman, and Sofia Coppola are all cousins. Brandy and Snoop Dogg are also cousins. It’s clear that musical ability runs deep in that family, as Brandy’s brother, Ray J, has also had a few top hits.
- Did you know that Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth are actually distant cousins? Their bloodlines are pretty complex! Don’t rush off to marry your cousin, though, just because the royals have! You will find that it is illegal in a lot of places, and experts believe that there are a number of risks. It’s certainly an interesting subject to do some research on. You will find that in some cultures, it’s actually an important part of how they are brought up. However, in others, it is very much frowned upon and even illegal.
How to celebrate Cousins Day
In order to celebrate Cousins Day, show your cousin how much he or she means to you! Why not spend the day together? You could catch up over lunch or go for a few cocktails together. Or, why not go and catch a gig together or go to any sort of event that’s taking place in your area? Getting together and having fun is the best way to celebrate Cousins Day. However, we know that this is not always possible, especially for cousins who don’t live near one and other.
If you don’t live near your cousin, why not send them a message to let them know that you are thinking about them. There are some great cousin quotes that you can use to show your love for your cousin, either via text message or social media. We like this one: “God made us cousins because he knew our mothers could not handle us as siblings.”
You could simply pick up the phone and call your cousin for a catch-up. Or, leave them a voice note and let them know you are thinking of them! It is little things like this that can really make all of the difference!
Another fun way to honor Cousins Day is to watch the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. This is probably the most famous television show that centers on the relationship between cousins. We’re sure you have heard of this TV program before. After all, it’s when the world first became familiar with Will Smith. The show, which debuted on NBC in 1990, is about a young man who moves in with his uncle, aunt, and cousins. It’s a really easy watch and you are guaranteed plenty of laughs along the way!
There are also plenty of funny films that involve crazy cousins if you’re looking for something funny to watch together. This includes Christmas Vacation, which follows Eddie who is probably the worst cousin you could have! You also have Ralph in King Ralph, Vincent in The Godfather III, Mara and Cara Craig in The Great Outdoors, and Illinois Gordon in Hoodlum.
So there you have it: some great ideas for Cousins Day. Whatever you do, make sure it’s fun! Whether your cousins live near or far, you can still enjoy a laugh and a smile with them on this date.