A part of fashion history for about a century now, polka dots undoubtedly make a statement. And one of the strongest influencers when it comes to these little dots is the fictional Disney character, Minnie Mouse.
National Polka Dot Day is here to celebrate not only Minnie Mouse, but all of the fashion lovers and trendsetters who have rocked their own polka dots all throughout the years!
History of National Polka Dot Day
Minnie Mouse, the highly image-conscious girlfriend of Mickey Mouse, made her fashion debut in 1928. And it wasn’t long after that she began sporting her famous polka dots dresses.
In 2018, when Minnie Mouse received her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, it was awarded to her on January 22 which was, of course, also National Polka Dot Day. And, obviously, she wore a red and white polka dotted dress!
National Polka Dot Day was founded to honor this cartoon icon, with her cute little high heels, who has represented women in fashion for more than 90 years.
How to Celebrate National Polka Dot Day
Loads of fun, creative ways to celebrate National Polka Dot Day can be imagined! Get started with some of these clever ideas for enjoying the day:
Wear Those Polka Dots
Now is the time to make a HUGE polka dot statement. Whether channeling that inner Minnie Mouse and wearing a bright red dress with huge white spots, or going a bit more subtle like sporting some polka dotted socks or a dotted tie, this is the day to rock those dots!
Remember Some Famous Polka Dot Frocks
From the 1950s to the current era, polka dots have been worn by famous women all throughout the years. Here are some of the best famous women who have worn polka dots best:
- Marilyn Monroe in The Seven Year Itch (1955). Hugging those hips in the way only a Marilyn Monroe dress can, this one offers blue polka dots, a form fitting bodice, shoulder straps that meet in a V, and a skirt that falls below the knee.
- Sophia Loren in That Kind of Woman (1959). Also white with dark dots, this sleeveless number featured a turn-down collar and buttons down the front, with a flowing skirt.
- Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (1990). The scene at the polo match is a beloved one where Julia Roberts’ character dresses far beyond her profession in her brown dress with white polka dots and a coordinated hat.
- Lucille Ball in I Love Lucy (1950s). A few different dark dresses with white polka dots made a recurring appearance in this comedy show that was shot in black-and white.
Listen to Some Polka Dot Songs
Have some fun with a soundtrack to go along with National Polka Dot Day by firing up some of these songs and rocking out to them:
- Polka Dots and Moonbeams by Frank Sinatra (1940)
- Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini by Brian Hyland (1960)
- Polka Dot Dress by Southern Culture on the Skids (2021)