Live by this credo: have a little laugh at life and look around you for happiness instead of sadness. Laughter has always brought me out of unhappy situations.Red Skelton
Everybody knows that laughing feels good, but few realize how valuable these simple tools can be in improving our everyday wellness and wellbeing. Laughter cannot heal or solve anything, but it can help to heal and dissolve everything. That’s what World Laughter Day is for! It’s a day where people can relieve some stress and laugh. Discover a new happiness workout and learn about what happens during World Laughter Day!
History of World Laughter Day
World Laughter Day is an annual event celebrated worldwide to raise awareness about laughter and its many healing benefits, as well as about thousands of community groups around the world who regularly practice comedy that promote wellness and overall well-being. World Laughter Day is celebrated in most large cities around the world. Hundreds of people gather worldwide on that day to laugh together. It has been celebrated in Los Angeles since 2005 and has since spread all over the world as a way to express people’s love for comedy and laughter.
World Laughter Day is celebrated also by a congregation of laughter club members, their families and friends in their city like big squares, public parks or auditoriums. Laughter clubs usually have a variety entertainment program of music, dance and laughter contests. Winners are those with the most infectious, natural and effortless laughter. Laughter club members during this day participate in a peace march and carry banners and placards such as “World Peace Through Laughter, The Whole World Is An Extended Family, Join a Community Laughter Club – it’s free!” etc. During the march all chant “Ho Ho, Ha-Ha-Ha” and “very good, very good, yay!” clapping and dancing. This is known to be one of the best ways that laughter clubs help you have a good time and join a laughter club for special benefits.
Health benefits of laughter
Is there any better feeling than a deep-rooted belly laugh? Not only does it help us to connect with those we’re laughing with, but there are a number of health benefits that are associated with laughing as well. This includes the following…
- Produces a general sense of well-being – One of the main benefits associated with laughter is that you’re generally going to feel better! If you laugh a lot, you’re going to be more of a positive person, and this can impact your life in so many different ways.
- The release of endorphins is triggered – Endorphins are the natural painkillers within your body. They are released when you laugh. This can help you to feel good all over while easing chronic pain at the same time.
- Boost T-cells – Laughter can also boost T-cells. These are specialized cells in your immune system, which are simply waiting to be activated. When you laugh, T-cells are brought to life, and they can help you to fight off sickness. So, next time you feel like you have a cold coming on, why not add some giggling and chuckling to your prevention strategy?
- Improve cardiac health – Laughter is an exceptional cardio workout, particularly for anyone who is not able to do other types of physical activity because of illness or injury. It will get your heart pumping, enabling you to burn around a similar amount to the calories you would burn while walking at a slow to moderate pace.
- Work your abs – One of the advantages associated with laughter is that it will tone your abs. The muscles in your tummy begin expanding and contracting when you’re laughing. This is similar to when you exercise your abs intentionally. At the same time, the muscles that are not in use when you are laughing will get the chance to relax. Is there any better way to get a toned stomach than having a good laugh?
- Reduce stress hormone levels – Aside from this, a reduction in your level of stress hormones is another benefit! This helps to cut the stress and anxiety that impacts your body. Moreover, the reduction of stress hormones can cause a higher immune system performance.
- Lowers blood pressure – Last but not least, laughing can lower your blood pressure. This can reduce your risk of a heart attack or a stroke.
How to Celebrate World Laughter Day
Want to have a good laugh? Go to a laughter club. Through them, you can preview new comedians and see what they have to offer in terms of comedic fun. If you want to be a comedian, learn from the best by joining comedy acts and taking part in improvisation classes. If you want, share some funny jokes on social media through the hashtag #WorldLaughterDay and have a good laugh with your friends by watching your favorite comedians on Netflix.
Here are some other ways that you can bring some more laughter to your life on World Laughter Day…
Start a Joke Jar – This is a good activity to get the whole family involved in. Simply grab a jar and get people to write a joke on a piece of paper and place it inside of the jar whenever they think of one. Next time you have a family dinner or someone needs cheering up, you can grab some jokes from the Joke Jar.
Learn to laugh at yourself – Take this day as an opportunity to teach yourself how to laugh at yourself properly. Most of us take ourselves too seriously! Learning to laugh at yourself enables you to be more vulnerable and more authentic – both are great traits to have.